Making time for the gym this season has been a struggle for me. Or rather, making MYSELF make time for the gym is the struggle. I've heard a body in motion stays in motion....and a body at rest stays at rest. All this to say, I've struggled to pick up momentum.
So I started thinking about how I could "easily" get moving again. The same old,
"I am going to the gym TONIGHT!"
"Well...maybe I'm NOT going to the gym tonight..."song and dance just isn't working.
Then, I remembered reading about a group of co-workers who challenged themselves to walk at least a mile a day, every day. Many of them did it for an ENTIRE YEAR.
I have no idea how they made that happen, but I'm willing to try it for the next 30 days.
You should join me! I've got a fun little group happening over on Instagram. We're spreading the word and getting excited!
If you're interested, here are some ways we can connect.
- Leave a comment here with the best way to contact you (instagram/email/twitter?)
- Use the hashtag #walkyourheartout Take some photos of your walks/work outs and tag me / us! I'd love to see what an autumn looks like in your neck of the woods...cause here...these trees be' gorgeous!
I know that hashtag has already been used a few times, but when I chose it initially, nothing came up! The data on my phone must have been slow that day (?) Rats! That's ok. It will just make it easier for MORE people to find us, I suppose. :)
- Connect with others! Follow people who have already expressed an interest in joining! Let's encourage each other along the way! Elizabeth from The Young Retiree has already been a huge help in spreading the word! Find her! :)
- I'll start posting to both my personal and blog FB accounts. You can find my blog account here!
- If you'd like to see the initial instagram post, you can find it here!
Here are my own, personal rules. Feel free to set your own!
1. Starting Monday, October 27th, I will move my body for at least 20 minutes a day. It takes me roughly 20 minutes to walk one mile. Also, for the record, "regular" work-outs count...zumba, arc trainer, lifting, etc. I just chose walking because in my mind, it's "easy." On those days where I'm just not FEELING IT, I have to tell myself that ANYONE can squeeze in a 20 minute walk.
2. I'm giving myself 3 "passes." I figure if I only miss 3, I've still met my goal by 90%
3. For every walk I miss, I'm going to donate a pack of diapers to our local pregnancy center (including my 3 passes...so technically...I already owe 3 packs...haha). Diapers are expensive, y'all. Money is a motivator for me, so this is gonna hurt. ;)
4. I want some loot! If I meet my 90% goal, I'm gonna go spend some serious cash at Sephora (and at my house, like, 30 dollars qualifies as "serious cash," just so we're clear). ;)
Tomorrow, I'm going to post a Part 2 which will include some suggestions / a plan for success and the benefits of walking!
Love & forward, March!
Post a Comment